lordcthulhu asked: What would you say are the top 5 horror films that inspired you to get into making movies?
Oh…. MAN, that’s hard!!!
Okay, okay, okay…. so many brilliant films….
1. POLTERGEIST : We pretty much owe everything to this film. It was our first horror movie and we saw it when we were just kids. There couldn’t be a more scary film to show your kids. We freaked out come bed time and then our mum did something that would forever change our lives. She told us that everything we saw was made by people whose jobs are to scare us. The actors, the writers, the director, and the make up artists. They made the monsters. We couldn’t BELIEVE that you could scare people for a living. And then we became obsessed and never looked back.
2. ALIEN : This was the film that refined the final girl. An epic moment for film history that I wouldn’t fully understand the impact of for many years. I remember watching it with my mum and being scared for Ripley in the ending scene and my mum told me not to worry, Ripley always wins. That blew my mind. To think that that lady could beat those big scary aliens? Wow. It made us have that “I want to be her” feeling and it’s surely one of the reasons we write women how we do. No weak, throw away characters in Soska films.
3. THE THING : The effects blew our fucking minds and still does. Rob Bottin is a master of his craft. It still holds up today, has a killer score, and feeds off that natural mistrust we all feel for one another. Brilliant film all around.
4. HELLRAISER : Saw this one when we were 12 and its body horror, S&M themes, and originality struck us hard. It took many more years to fully understand all the concepts in that film, but it is masterfully done by the true master of horror, Clive Barker, who continues to inspire us even to this day.
5. THE EXORCIST : Probably the greatest horror film ever made.